The Importance of Website Mobile Responsiveness
It’s no surprise that technology is sweeping across the globe. Every year we see innovative and alluring digital designs, like the latest iPhone models, smart watches, smart televisions, and even Google Glass. Americans love these gadgets, and the statistics reveal just how much:
- 68% of Americans own a smartphone, 69% own a laptop, 61% own a desktop, and 49% own a tablet.
- As of 2017, Americans spend an average of 71% of their time using a mobile device. 90% of that time is spent using apps.
- People tap, click, and swipe their phone an average of 2,617 times every day.
- Since 2014, more people complete online searches through a smartphone than a desktop.
- While shopping, 83% of consumers use their smartphone, with 31% of them using technology to check email promotions or compare prices.
- There are more mobile devices in our world than there are people!
The desire runs deep.
People are attached to their devices because of a deep desire - they want all information at their fingertips at every moment. They want to be able to find what they are specifically looking for no matter where they are or what device they are using.
“I need to eat up the rest of that lettuce. I wonder what kind of new dressing I could make?” Pinterest search for “homemade salad dressings.”
“Is there a Chinese restaurant nearby? I’m really craving Chinese for lunch.” Googlemaps search for “nearby restaurants.”
“I totally forgot about Grandma’s birthday on Friday. What do you buy an old lady for her 84th birthday?” Bing search for “birthday present for grandma.”
“I think I just jammed my finger playing basketball. It may even be broken. Ouch!” Internet search for “how do you know if your finger is jammed or broken?”
As an entrepreneur or business owner, this is a major bonus! People are constantly looking for information and solutions to their problems, and you can provide an answer and resolution. This is why you want need to have a mobile responsive website!
The Details of Website Mobile Responsiveness
Website Mobile Responsiveness means that a particular website will adapt to the user’s device (desktop, smartphone, tablet, smart watch, etc.) by:
- optimizing the layout to be flexible, scaleable, and proportional. It will accommodate portrait or landscape depending on the device’s orientation, with no need to scroll horizontally to view the entire page.
- having appropriate text sizes. The text should not be too large or too small, removing the need to zoom or expand.
- having appropriate image sizes. If necessary, devices with smaller screens should have images scaled, cropped, or removed altogether.
- using adequately spaced buttons and links for easy clicking, touching, and tapping.
- making phone numbers and email addresses text (and not images) so that users can copy and paste or tap-to-call.
- having appropriate forms. Longer forms are easy to fill out on a desktop, but simpler forms should be used for smaller screen sizes.
- loading quickly. With fast internet speeds, users believe that every page should load in less than two seconds or it’s not worth their time.
- ensuring the overall ease of navigation, especially through the use of a main menu.
Boost your sales with a mobile responsive website.
It may not sound like an urgent, top-priority issue to have a website that is mobile responsive, but in reality, it is extremely important! Remember those statistics, like how people spend an average of 71% of their time on a mobile device? Well, what do you suppose they do with all that time on their smartphone? Naturally, a huge chunk of it is devoted to social media.
Assuming you have a healthy social media strategy, you recognize the amount of traffic it generates toward your website. And since most people check social media on a mobile device, they are following those leads on a mobile device. What will happen if your website isn’t mobile friendly? The user is likely to get frustrated by the inconvenience, and will leave your site. However, if they can navigate from their smartphone with no problem, then you have just converted a lead!
If your website is easy and convenient, consumers will have a positive experience and think more highly of your website. Hello improved brand perception! This means they are more likely to browse your site again in the future, increasing your lead generation, sale, and conversions. Score!
In addition to an increase in sales, having a mobile-friendly website will place your company ahead of the game. Surprisingly, despite the statistics of a mobile-addicted society, 44% of Fortune 500 companies are still not mobile responsive!
Having a mobile-friendly site will boost your visibility on search engines. Why? Because in 2017 Google is prioritizing mobile responsive websites above desktop sites. They recognize that most people begin their Google search from a smartphone or tablet, so it’s no longer effective to only rank according to a desktop website. Our advice: don’t launch your mobile responsive site until it’s absolutely ready, because a poorly performing mobile site can now hurt your rankings even if your desktop site is perfect.
Don’t wait any longer to make your website mobile responsive! Technology is expanding, progressing, and developing more every single day, and nearly 50% of the world’s population uses the internet. Keep up with the trends and offer your consumers an experience of easy navigation and optimization. After all, people desire instant information. Provide them with your solutions!
Need help going mobile?
References:Putting a Finger on Our Phone Obsession